Saturday, five of us drove inland to Fresno, and participated in the first Central California Area Derby Black and White Scrimmage. Our girls were divided between the two teams, and we got to skate with both Atomic Assault and RocknRolla girls-- lucky us to have two fantastic teams to learn from! The flooring, sports court tiled on dirt, was not something we were used to, but we tried our best to stay vertical no matter how many times gravity took us down. We had such an incredible time learning all sorts of moves from both the Tidy Whities and Black Power, that we talked strategy for a week straight. We went back to Circuit Jerks the following Tuesday with all sorts of ideas to work on.
Sunday, I drove to Oakland to watch the B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls host the Golden Bowl. As I sipped champagne provided by the make-shift bar, and munched on derby-owned Spoonful of Sugar cupcakes, I wrote all sorts of notes on my phone so that I could tell my derby sisters all about the strategies I saw working for these champion teams.
Here are some of the stand-out plays from Sunday's final two games:
- jammers hit each other straight off the line at the second whistle
- every jammer juked
- pack would take a knee to slow start of jam or pack speed so that it's jammer would have an advantage
- getting in and out of penalty box chairs takes lots of practice in graceful skating
- pivot & blocker, one in front of the other, would be last line of defense for opposing jammer by playing pull cart while blocking; touching would not last more than 3 seconds, but the pivot did all the leading, and the blocker looked over both shoulders at all times while touching forward while pivot maneuvered track
- if your pack is holding the other jammer while your jammer is coming round the track, slow the pack down to let your jammer score more easily
- on the other hand, speed up if opposing jammer is coming into pack
- if pivot speeds up, follow!
- if one blocker is on opposing jammer, speed up and help out; recycle, recycle, recycle!
- if you fall, get up fast!
- if you see your jammer fighting blockers, help her out!
- hop out of a booty block
- if you skate out of the pb box behind the pack, help block the opposing jammer in the back
- jammers constantly jumped corners
- hit as many girls out of bounds without going out of bounds yourself to get them out of the game earlier
So, what have you learned from your latest derby adventure?